Saturday, April 14, 2007

Don't Cry for Me Ratboy

When we left for Alaska, I left behind a few relatives on the East Coast. One relative in particular was quite close to me, yet was even closer to the life of opulence he chose for himself. He had bought the myth of the rat race prize- hook, line & sinker. There is a direct line between self-worth and a home's square footage in this world of the rat.
He admits he is miserable with his life of dual income commuting and the shuttled away child that eventually becomes a stranger. But -hey, did you know the neighbors house cost 1 million?

When rat race boy came to visit my humble abode in Alaska, I think it scared the pretentious pants off of him. Our small home in the woods is an old saw mill, put together by bits and pieces without any particular plan or building code. The result is a work in progress, and I am aware of the need for various upgrades. However, the biggest shock for my East Coast visitor was probably the lack of "you've made it" square footage.

He flew back to his land of snobs and envy to report that we were struggling. That we must be having some sort of financial problems.

It is pretty incredible to me that someone would miss that I am rich with mountain views, fresh wild berries, a river full of salmon and familial harmony. That I love my home and feel happy here.

So listen up: If you want to spend your time keeping up with the Joneses, so be it. But please don't pity me, as I am much too busy being content with my life.

No comments: