Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Queen of Suburban Angst

Just like the public health community spreads the word of the latest salmonella outbreak, Arcade Fire has their own PSA, warning of the dangers of suburban angst..
I guess it's good to get knowledge of this social disease out in the open. But as I myself was once a self-professed Queen of Suburban angst, (well before it was identified as a marketable medical condition) I feel I have a few valid observations.
First of all, I cured my suburban angst quickly and completely by moving to Alaska. Luckily, once you are cured of this condition, it is much easier to reflect on its cause.
The first observation is that not everyone does hate the suburbs (wow!). Only after leaving did I realize that parents feel their kids are safe there, kids like to ride their bikes around and don't even need to fear their neighbors! Neat stuff.
Now the angst part usually only develops when you are a teenager. The two causes of angst are: A) realizing that safety is boring (as any philosopher will note: humans crave adversity). B) it is exhausting to constantly conform and "fit in".
At first one might think that only the artsy goth kids hate conformity. But now as an adult I realize that the peppy kids had it even harder. I mean by accepting that you aren't one of them, you can just breathe, claim your angst and detour around the conformity game. But if you are actually succeeding, then watch out--you need your eyes on the ball 24/7--are you wearing the right clothes, saying the right thing...? Then adults need to watch out for the proverbial Joneses next door--keeping up with the right car, landscaping and heaven forbid you have not painted your house beige!
The funny thing is, after overcoming my own suburban angst, I realize the safety thing isn't bad for little children after all, and can't say that everyone living in the suburbs will become nuts. On the other hand, those beige houses have got to go....

No comments: