Friday, March 16, 2007

The Way Alaskans Love Their Animals

As I am originally from the East Coast, my move to Alaska brought about many surprises. One of these surprises was the cynical attitude towards anything "warm & fuzzy" including animal rights. For example, PETA is considered an organization run by sissy pants bed wetters. The only time I have even seen PETA on a bumper sticker in Alaska is in the context: PETA "people eating tasty animals".... Or how about a Christmas card with a picture of a little girl holding a hunting rifle crouched by a dead reindeer. The caption reads: "only seven more to go- Merry Christmas!"

Yes, this shocked the pants right off my sensible yet snooty East Coast self. It appeared a bit cruel. It seemed especially odd because one can easily see that Alaskans love animals. I have yet to meet a non-pet owner here. Jacked up pick-up trucks come to screeching halts if a dog even thinks of crossing an Alaskan road. So what gives?

I think I have figured it out: Alaskans like their animals wild and treat them that way. What passes as "humane" elsewhere just seems silly in Alaska. Pets don't wear rain coats here, sit around getting fat, or wear bows. So many folks back East want their dogs tame, goofy and content with a squeeze toy. But Alaskans celebrate the wolf in their dog. They want dogs that hunt like mad and run like the wind. Even reindeer aren't primarily considered Santa's helpers, but accepted as sausage material or great entertainment when they run loose & wild during reindeer races.

This difference in opinion probably explains why people outside of Alaska and Alaskans are constantly butting heads when it comes to animal issues. Even I have come around to the Alaskan way of thinking. I'm quite proud when my dog can kill a mouse and understand her roaming behavior better when I consider her a wolf.

I completely support treating animals well, but what's the fun if they all become gentle Disney caricatures ?

No comments: