Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Amazing Alaska Burger King

About 10 years ago, there was once a Burger King in downtown Palmer, Alaska. I remember it well, as we once drove up to their take out window and ordered a milk shake. The response I got (and I quote) was:
"Sorry folks ---no more milkshakes. We don't have an ice cream machine, the Wasilla Burger King stoled it" (stoled is the common Alaska form for the word stole)....
Either way, I'm no fan of the Wasilla Burger King ever since spotting patrons nonchalantly twirling hand guns in the parking lot...But they do have an ice cream machine! Nevertheless, the abused Palmer Burger King soon shut down and was replaced by a Dairy Queen.
One or two Burger Kings still exist in Anchorage though, and we recently made the attempt to venture inside one.
It seemed normal enough upon entry---cashiers, tables, burger smell. But the illusion soon diminished upon ordering. My son requested chicken tenders and fries with ketchup---easy enough. "Sorry, no ketchup available" we were told. No ketchup? Ok....
I proceeded to order a whopper junior. "Sorry--the grill is down--no burgers today." 
Hmm, quite puzzling, our choices were now rather diminished. Yet the icing on the cake (for my son) was when they thought he would accept a kids meal with no ice cream -- (sorry---machine broken!) At which point the poor child begged me to get out of there as fast as possible....
So all in all, as a jaded Alaskan, I was pretty impressed at the above average Alaskan incompetency factor for this establishment. Hard to do--so hats off to them!

No comments: