Tuesday, April 30, 2013

When in Fairbanks....

After living in Alaska for too many years already, I am quite familiar with the complete disinterest that many proprietors have in business revenue. Maybe it's the lack of competition, maybe it's the weather. But it is what it is.   
In south central Alaska this transpires into the unusual way we choose electricians, plumbers or other such service personnel--- a technical and elaborate process called: " whoever actually shows up." Or there is the other method: "the one that finally returned my calls"....
However, this fantastic service can always be topped by a trip to Fairbanks.
We were on a recent journey to the North Star Borough when our dog Little Bear treated us to an unwelcome surprise. It was really our own fault: expecting a 10 year old male dog to endure 9 hours without a pee break...So he simply took matters into his own hands, and relieved himself on a cover cloth, right in the back of the SUV. Needless to say, we had no way of dealing with the soaked material. The only logical choice was to head on over to the local Laundromat as soon as possible.
Seemed normal enough at first, deposited our coins in the washer and washed the cloth.
But the interesting part was the drying. Thinking I was in a Laundromat, I dropped my coins into a dryer and walked away, expecting actual drying--the carriage was spinning after all. Needless to say, upon returning to my item, I discovered it was still just as wet--no heat (although set to high). I looked up at a sign above the dryers and it said: "check for heat". Odd.
Very well then. I tried another dryer-- depositing my quarters, and again-- no heat. Third dryer was the charm -- and it performed its intended function: drying.
I walked over to the staff and told them: "Well dryer x and y had no heat, maybe you could put up a sign that they don't work ?"
The response I got was: "No, they may just work later on. We hate those things."
I had no idea how to respond to that.
Apparently in Fairbanks there is a strange policy of denial. Reinforced to us a few hours later, as we entered the lobby of the Chena Hot Springs pool area. It was completely dark and quiet. Staff was accepting 'cash only' for pool entry. An obvious power outage. I asked: "is there a power outage?" I received the reply: "no". 
So we proceeded to go down the dark hallway and change in the locker rooms lit by multiple candles. People kept asking the staff: "when will the electricity be returning? To which the staff would nonchalantly reply--" there is no problem".
So lesson learned, in Fairbanks everything is ok, regardless of what you may be observing. I guess it is a pretty good attitude to have when living in a climate that can get to -49. Just  deny it!



No comments: