Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Again With Sheryl Sanberg!

All the hype and talk about Sheryl Sandberg lately is getting pretty exhausting. (you know: the "Lean In" lady).  Supposedly she "predicted" that folks like me would "dislike her for her success". Well I'm not a fan-- not because she is successful--but because I feel she speaks for a minority of women....
Her first assumption is the infamous quote in her book, that if you plan to have children, "finding the right husband/partner is the most important career decision you can make." Well I say pooh to that. Plenty of women don't know if they want children or not until later in life--so please don't assume everyone has it all figured out ahead of time.

Secondly, her super-fantastic corporate life still sounds quite stressful and unpleasant to many--certainly impossible to achieve without domestic help. Quite frankly--I have yet to meet a lady doing the "high powered job thing" who doesn't come across as angry and exhausted. Of course Ms. Sanberg would say--this is why we lean in! (with a perky smile) Hubby helps with the supportive role! Well maybe if you marry some awesome gay man. Unfortunately, quite a few SAHDs (stay at home dads) I know (and do respect to death!) just aren't as intuitively adept at child rearing and multi-tasking as women. It just doesn't work out as wonderfully as one may think it could...
Needless to say, women aren't men, and men are not women. I am all for equal rights, but it does not mean we become exactly the same. I don't want to wear business suits and watch football--so maybe I just don't want the exact same career path as a man, maybe I don't want to be a CEO (gasp!)
I am certainly not submissive, do have a good education, but don't want her life--why does she think I do? It is a disservice to women to put this sort of pressure on them.
If she really cared about empowering women, I wish she would have written a book called "Stop Leaning Over" --for anal sex that is. Does she have any idea how many young women are increasingly exposing themselves to anal tears and HPV just to please a man's silly request? 

No comments: