Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Tale of the Stinky Amaryllis

Better late than never they say. So today was the day to plant my Christmas Amaryllis bulb-- purchased at the local grocery store some time ago. I knew the poor thing was just waiting for me.
Upon purchasing the red lion Amaryllis , I had glanced at the box--it said Bulb from Brazil, assembled in USA. Ok I thought, no red flags there....
But those red flags were hiding within the box!!! The bulb looked decent enough, but it came with an easy planting soil kit--an expandable disc of soil like matter.
The first hint that I was not going to like the so called "soil"--were the chicken feathers. Yes, why are there feathers on top of my "soil ball?". Next --the little attached note that stated this particular "soil" was from Sri Lanka ! Why? 
But, without any soil at home in January, I followed the "hydrating instructions"--pouring warm water onto the soil--only to encounter an expanding mass of some sort of fecal matter. It didn't just smell like fecal matter--there was also a strong odor of chickens and mold! Overwhelmed by the smell (and yes--I know what soil should smell like--usually like earth and hippies)  I had no choice but to rush my chicken shit ball out of the house. After all, I did not need to introduce the home to a new kind of exotic mold spore, nor bird flu. Nobody was going to be able to handle being in the same room as the stink ball anyway. I dumped it (where else), behind the old chicken coop on our property--that's why I have pretty good idea what moldy chicken feces smells like!! But why oh why, must this exotic moldy poultry poop be sold at my local grocery store?????
  

No comments: