Wednesday, November 7, 2012

How Do The Single Moms Manage?

Lucky for me, I am not a single mom. Now and then I play single, when my significant other travels for work and what have you. Yet, usually those periods have turned out ok, with a few minor bumps-- mostly exhaustion due to my role as full time entertainment director.

However, I had a glimpse into "single motherhood hell" the other day, courtesy of the stomach flu. I had chills, nausea and a crazy fever---probably caused by some sort of bacterial boxing match, due to my overzealous yogurt consumption. (my attempt at self-healing) Nevertheless, I really, really just wanted to lie on the couch. Oh, did I ever. But I had to come up with some sort of dinner to feed those that can not feed themselves (and were not violently ill like mom). Delivery is not an option in a semi-rural part of Alaska--thus as the only adult in the house, meal prep is my job. Unwillingly, I had to somehow manage to peel myself off the couch, wobble up the stairs, and find my saving grace--the macaroni and cheese!
Yes, this I could accomplish, with only minor nausea. Yet, I really could not. Right at the final cooking step, in my feverish dementia, I added Newman's lemonade instead of milk! Oh good grief! I stirred it up really well, and prayed for mercy. Hoping the lemon zest would go unnoticed, I served it anyway. Oh thank goodness for small blessings--the bizarre substitution went unnoticed and I could resume moaning in the fetal position upon the couch.
I just can't imagine what a single mom goes through each and every time they are ill.

No comments: