Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Stress as Status

I was reading an article the other day, in which a female university professor was ranting about the girls in her feminist class wanting to be "stay at home mommies". This professor spewed all the old 70's lines about how the kiddos need to see mommy go off to work and make something of herself instead of becoming a dysfunctional helicopter parent.
Yet I don't really understand where this educated lady gets her data and ideas. The argument has gotten pretty old and I thought everyone already knew there are truths on both side of the coin--(some families do better with stay at home parents and others just don't). You could never prove one side completely right as there are too many variables- actual family dynamics, communities and income to name a few, that would affect the outcome of such a study.

So then let us focus on the mommies instead. As a feminist professor, can't she get over her hang ups about all the educated ladies needing careers? Can't she just embrace the fact that true liberated women do what is best for them and their families?
So many working women don't even like their careers and ensuing stress. I have seen it for myself--as a working mom comes home, stressed out of her pickles and just rolls her eyes at the kids, blames the laundry pile and orders a pizza. Is this the enviable goal?
Not to mention, that there is nothing wrong with dad quiting a stressful career as well if the family can make it work.
I can't get over how some people who moan about unemployment --yet don't ever blame the "dualies" (dual income families) for sucking up all the good jobs. Some numbers show that 43% of ladies worked in 1950 compared to about 80% in 2010--You could say I am blaming women, but I am not--if they really want those jobs, then maybe the men should step aside..

Of course at this point, my little essay would piss off any dual income family that says they need to have two jobs to get by. And I can't argue with that. There are really crappy jobs out there, where only 2 jobs make any financial sense.
Unfortunately, for every family that needs two jobs, I can pull one out of the hat that just "wants" two jobs. Families where mom and dad hate being home, or families that like brand new cars and high mortgages. Or even worse--families that fill giant play rooms with buckets full of tacky toys made in China--yuck, don't work for that! (hasn't anyone noticed that unemployment numbers are based on 'wanting' a job, not 'needing?')
And this stems from what I call the "status of stress": that I-have-made-it in crazy America, because I am too tired to mow my own lawn, or cook my own dinner or even read a real book....The last thing we need is some bitter professor professing that this is something worth achieving.

No comments: