Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Does The National Weather Service know Alaska exists?

I was glancing at the headlines in Google News the other day, and just became more and more annoyed. The pansy National Weather Service was issuing this warning and that warning to "cover every inch of exposed skin", because heaven forbid, the temperatures may dip to the teens and wind chill may hit zero!!
First of all, if an Alaskan ever complained about "wind chill" everyone would fall over in a ball of laughter. We aIl know it is a fake and made-up term. Might as well say your 'room temperature' changes each time a woman experiencing a hot flash walks by....
I have yet to hear the silly "wind chill" term uttered in Alaska---even after living in the midst of glacier valley winds in the Matanuska-Susitna valley!! And those aren't some sort of baby wind chill winds. No, Alaska wind is called M#$%#$^$*^#* wind!
And what's with the "cover all exposed skin?" Has my (or any other Alaskan's) skin become thicker after living up here so long?!!? I'm actually a bit freaked out--does my family now have freakishly thick polar skin??? And I didn't even notice!?? Gross!!!
Case in point--my son's elementary school. Never canceled recess. That's right--kids were outside up to -12 degrees, playing, laughing and what have you--with exposed skin. And if it was above 5 degrees, they would sweat and lose their coats in the bushes. (But, they did once cancel recess, when some M#$%*&%$@# winds blew in).
The other day, I was driving my 10 year old son to his sport activity. I told him-- "you know, you really should be wearing a coat--it is about 18 degrees outside. "
And he looked at me in horror and said: "why do I need a coat?"
All I could come up with was," because in the lower 48-- people would freak out!"
My poor Alaskan born child knows one thing: he has never seen a child fall over dead because they forgot to wear a coat. (and if they feel cold enough--they have a crazy idea, it's called--"go back inside.")
Granted, the kids do catch colds (from germs), -- but I have yet to see frostbite on the little buggers, even after a long winter of daily outdoor recess. 
Not denying that frostbite exists, and people do get chilled and die--but in Alaska, at least, it seems to happen at any temperature (even 40 degrees) , and involves becoming wet, often when wearing cotton. (Cotton kills! they say out here.)
And I sure have seen frostbite damaged skin, but again--on dog mushers--exposed to days and days of negative zero temps, and that crazy arctic wind!
Obviously, you want to protect the elderly, frail and babies from the elements...but the Weather Service could at least acknowledge that us Arctic people exist --and the human species does not spontaneously combust when the temperature goes below zero!!!

No comments: