Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Iditarod Dog Days are Ending

The top ten mushers of the Iditarod sled dog race have already crossed the finish line in Nome today. So the last great race is coming to an end, although it will take many more days for the final dog teams to wrap it up.
I am blessed that in Alaska they show about an hour of news coverage (twice this time!) of the crowds in Nome waiting for the mushers, the final sprint to victory and then interviews with the winner. As I do every year, I sat glued to the TV as the crowds cheered Lance Mackey, the governor made the ceremonial congratulatory phone call and the media jumped up and down. Meanwhile, the dogs looked pretty joyous as well and Mackey's dogs kept licking the frozen snot off his whiskers during the interviews--good stuff.
I wondered to myself-- why in the world does watching this race, and the excitement it creates, such an incredible experience for me???
So I have come to the conclusion that this great sled dog race (the one so many animal groups actually hates) represents everything I love about Alaska and why I am here. So many Alaskans come here for jobs, family or marriage, but we came here for Alaska alone. I wanted to see adventure and unique experiences and that's what the Iditarod is.
From the beginning in Anchorage when they squeeze over 1,000 dogs into downtown, to the news reports from quirky and remote Native villages, to reliving the drama of the hazards that I read about years ago in "Winterdance".
It is so very unique and Alaska's own.
I don't know why I can't enjoy what the masses do, why do I only seek the other? How come I hate Sam's Club and CSI and block buster movies?? Why don't I care about Steve Madden shoes, Applebees or Gucci bags?
This bizarre and crazy sled dog race is simply my version of the Super bowl. May they mush on!

No comments: