Monday, April 14, 2008

School Vandalism

Once again there has been an incident of school vandalism in Southcentral Alaska. A pair of pre-teen boys claim they were "bored", so they destroyed $150,000 worth of school property, by smashing computers & breaking windows.
Now comes the name calling, where the conservatives blame the liberals, some blame the parents and many blame the kids. I have a different perspective on this situation, because unfortunately this is not the first time I have seen Alaskan kids vandalize a school.

My perspective comes from the simple little fact that schools back East don't get ripped apart by local kids--especially kids that know the school!!! Schools still enjoy some respect by the community and the families that are linked to them.
Yet, in Alaska, certain neighborhoods and parental types seem to think education is a joke. There is quite a bit of mockery regarding higher education, and a large drop out rate. Meanwhile the more affluent families bitch and moan that their taxes should never be raised in order to increase school funding.
This anti-school attitude is pretty easy in a state where the best occupations require little or no education. Nevertheless, even if you have no use for an education, I assume respecting property should come from somewhere.
That is certainly a harder nut to crack, as I have seen all kinds of kids commit vandalism--the rich kids who have no idea that replacing stuff really hurts, and poor angry kids who just like to smash shit. I guess my dog likes to dig a giant hole for no reason at all as well.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aluguel de Computadores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aluguel-de-computadores.blogspot.com. A hug.