Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Bugs, Bugs, and More Bugs

Let me be the first to admit the stereotype about Alaska being full of mosquitoes is pretty much true. Not everywhere mind you- the average tourist will barely meet a mosquito in any big Alaskan town. They are pretty rare along the beaches as well--especially if it is windy.
But, if you happen to be in the woods on a cloudy day in June---watch out!!
The tundra and interior also have the same mosquito swarms that follow you or any hapless animal around. Poking, proding and buzzing until they each have made an attempt to sting you in the ear, lip or get through those jeans!
It is actually pretty incredible, especially because I have seen every bug repellent imaginable used against these "swarms" and nothing can stomp out their motivation. Here at my homestead, I too get to experience mosquito swarms in June. We actually have a "mosquito magnet" and a bat house--to attract bug eating bats. Well the mosquito magnet just can't keep up. A list of other things I have tried to spray on my porch or body or dogs includes: vanilla, eucalyptus, citronella (I swear they love the stuff), every "natural" repellent sold in the store, listerine and catnip. Nothing really works. Even regular Deet repellents are a joke to the mad swarms, but I heard the military uses 100% deet.
All one can really do, is wrap themselves in bug netting and wait for August. But I guess all these mosquitoes do help feed our salmon though.....

No comments: