Thursday, February 21, 2013

What the Feminists Have Done To Me

I don't really want to bash feminism too much here--I super appreciate the right to vote and having an equal voice to men.
But, with that said, the new normal for "liberated" females has caused me quite a bit of grief.
Let's face it, with most women currently working out of the home--those that do not are considered LAZY. Thanks a lot Betty Freidan. Although I vote liberal, I am forced to surround myself with true Conservative women--as they would never judge me for actually enjoying being at home or for wearing fabulous sunglasses!
I am now stuck with a passive aggressive mother-in-law always sticking it to me about how awful I am to my husband. I should obviously release him from the evil burden of being the sole bread winner. Or how about childhood friends, sarcastically asking how am I enjoying my retirement? (I did once have a REAL career after all)
The thing is, I am not counting flowers on the wall. I do spend my days either painting, writing or fixing up the house! Not to mention the obvious, yet more boring tasks, such as kid taxi, maid and cook! But somehow I am supposed to feel guilty, that I really enjoy this. Or maybe less intelligent?? Interestingly, I find that having less stress has increased my knowledge base. Not only do I have the time to really read stuff....I also contemplate and meditate!
The art of meditation is considered so very intellectual--if you are a male and in Bhutan! But for us females (and again--thanks to those bored feminists) I am not allowed to enjoy it. I just need to wallow in guilt instead-- as I am not "producing" anything more tangible than art, clean laundry and ideas!

No comments: