Tuesday, October 30, 2012

That Stuff Fell Again

After more than ten years in Alaska, I am no snow enthusiast. But here it is again, that white, fluffy substance all over my yard and driveway. Of course, my son is quite enthused about the frozen stuff--as it signifies that Halloween is really here! (These poor kids who have only grown up in AK normalize the weirdest things--like not being able to see the 4th of July fireworks because it is blazing daylight at midnight).

Nevertheless, I have no choice but to endure. Endure the snow covered pumpkins--that are only put out on the last day-- so bears, moose or jack frost don't get them first. And the trick or treating with heavy winter boots on. Luckily, as the nights get longer and longer this time of year, it is also the "Holiday light transitional phase". Meaning that I counted at least a dozen homes in the vicinity that have decorated their houses and bushes with Christmas lights--and no, these are not Halloween lights. Alaskans are totally not motivated enough to go back out there in the snow and switch the lights! But I did see a few put up their wreaths already--heck why not? Put it next to the snowy pumpkin.  

No comments: