Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Truth Abouth Skinny People

I always enjoy writing posts about 'truth' or what I perceive it to be--so here's another one.  
A few years back, my husband and I lost quite a bit of weight. His secret was a drastic dietary change, mostly gluten free, replaced by lean protein. Icy Jane on the other hand, went on her infamous "Bitch and Moan" diet, which is really very simple. I'll share the recipe here: 
Wake up and eat a grapefruit and 4 cups of coffee for breakfast, allow one cup of yogurt for lunch, followed by an average dinner. Continue for 10-14 days. You will be dizzy and cranky. Spend time on the couch bitching and moaning, as exercising (at least for me) just makes me hungrier and destroys all dietary progress. Do not operate heavy machinery.
In about 14 days: it's a miracle--20 pounds are shed.
So here's the truth part: losing the weight was easy, keeping it off harder (as if you haven't heard that before). You will have to drastically reduce the portions, snacks and meals you are used to eating. Then accept that you will feel hungry all the time. Get used to it. The feeling in your belly gets a bit better --(it's been over a year now for me), but sometimes I can't even remember if I ate lunch or not--because the feeling is the same.  
My husband has a slower metabolism, so he barely eats at all. No joke. Black tea, yogurt, fruit and nuts as snacks, and a gluten free dinner--and he exercises like crazy--six hours per week. Poor thing.
The other truth--we are always cold. Now it doesn't help that we reside in friggin Alaska, but Eskimos know best--fat is good in the arctic! Without the extra layer of insulation, it is soooo cold.
You need to have a certain amount of vanity to put up with constant hunger and shivering just to have a good body. Although personally, we feel it was worth it--at least it saves money on the grocery bill! 

No comments: