Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Prediction for 2011 or Maybe 2021

I want to write something here about social networking. Granted, I am no expert about anything regarding technology nor do I engage in social networking. Nevertheless--that's exactly why I have a strong opinion about it--I don't see social networking as being very gainful.
I regularly receive these little "join Facebook emails" (regular email I do like) or "check my profile on Facebook".
Well the more I learn about Facebook the more I am disinterested in it.
Why do I find it discouraging?
A) People seem to use it only for their own cheap narcissistic gain, not to spread anything useful (unless you consider cyber bullying useful).
B) Why is the age of privacy over? Instead, everyone allows greedy marketing companies to track their individual likes and dislikes. Facebook has become a tool of "the man"as it encourages you (for free!) to advertise where you shop and which movies you like.
C) The age of gentile correspondence seems to be over. I can't get individuals to reply to emails anymore, because I "should" instead check their updates on Facebook. Like everyone is a rock star now without five minutes for a reply or phone call anymore?

So my prediction for Facebook is that the empire may just come crashing down. I saw that their stock is soaring currently--never a good thing. (remember that over-inflated real estate market?) The type of person who enjoys social networking also seems to be a bit fickle. They jump to the next new and terrific thing. Isn't everyone finally going to be sick of looking at other people's photos? I still can't get over all the photo Christmas cards I get now, and then everyone still checks each others pics on a weekly basis on top of that? I mean come on people.



No comments: