Friday, December 31, 2010

Alaska Canine Insanity

We really have a canine mental health issue going on in our household right now. It started with these weird power flickers two days ago. I guess they are called brown outs or whatever. But they freak my dog Dinga out like the end of the world is near.
Because the lights flash and the appliances click..to mention a few of the weird sights and sounds that happen with each flicker. And then Dinga just freaks out. She hides behind chairs, under desks, shakes and shivers by the door. Even walks into the bathroom with me--which is just strange and annoying.
Then we go to bed and the real fun starts (it has been 2 nights now). A few hours after we are asleep Dinga starts whining by the door--I take her out to pee. But she keeps whining, and then barking. Last night (after only sleeping for 2 hours the previous night) my husband gave up and slept on the couch with her next to him (as she is not allowed in the bedroom). This finally settled her as well as the Enya CD I put on. But in the meanwhile she started peeing blood clots.

Now I know most doggy lovers would run to the vet with this-and maybe we should. But as we have seen Dinga suffer from anxiety before, this too isn't surprising. She has actually on more than one occasion managed to give herself bloody diarrhea from anxiety alone (she keeps forcing herself to go). I am hoping that is what the blood pee is as well, because of the correlation with the panic attacks, and I noticed her most recent pee a few hours ago was just fine.

On top of this nonsense is the usual Alaska fun. The temperature rose 50 degrees in two days (did this freak the dog out as well?) From -10 to 40 degrees today. So my hubby is outside with the tractor, trying to move wet snow. But then he gets stuck and I go out and help push...And a moose trampled our little ice skating rink. But I guess I don't really want to trade these weird annoyances for a tamer life in the suburbs.

No comments: