Tuesday, June 9, 2009

What Does it Mean to be Rich

Our whole market based capitalistic system is based on the premise that humans want to be rich, thus they will work hardest for themselves to accumulate wealth.
So ask any depressed college student (yes, I just read that 40% of college students feel apathetic and depressed) what they want to be and they will answer "rich". Perhaps this vain, abstract and empty purpose for their future is in some way related to their apathy? But I digress...
Either way, so I was thinking what does wealthy or rich really mean? To most Americans it means a sports car or two, 4 car garage, mansion, pool, fancy clothes & shoes. (Not necessarily culture though) I'm sure in a poorer nation, the feeling of rich comes from far fewer possessions. However, the scary part is when these poorer nations begin to emulate our definition of rich...I mean is the goal of a worldwide market based economy the complete paving over of the globe? Open pit mines, clear cut forests for homes, fighting for access to agricultural land, over- fishing and complete depletion of fresh water sources??
I don't get it and often feel alone in my own definitions of wealth. I really hate feeling like one of the few who feels rich just knowing that pandas are free to sit in the bamboo, wolves to roam or whales to breech. Or going on a hike into the wilderness unspoiled by man with crystal clear water.
I can't see a future where both these definitions of "rich" can coexist. I do feel more of my fellow humans gain enjoyment from developing a forest than just enjoying it as is. Not to mention just being content with what they already have, in a system that always makes you crave more goods. When will someone say: " I am rich--I have health & a happy family?? Some may say it--but most still mock it--and capitalism wouldn't work without the mockery of those that are content with less. (thus increasing the pressure to purchase more) One of the cruelties of our system.

No comments: