Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Is Sheryl Sandberg a Mean Girl??

Yes, yes-- I am kind of fixated on Sheryl Sanberg--but that's only because this crazy lady won't leave me alone! Even years after her treatise on gender, she just can't seem to keep her name out of any newsworthy article I happen to stumble upon-- be it women politicians, the job market, world economics, or pantyhose--there's Sheryl again!  (ok, not the pantyhose one).
No matter which forum she has magically landed at (during her 36 hour workday), Queen Sheryl always needs to (in a sweet tone) "be having the conversation about women's barriers to entry ".  Always discussing why there aren't more "female CEO's and COO's"...
Recently, Time and Real Simple Magazine produced a survey exposing an *ugly* little truth. 75% of women would not take their bosses "better/higher/more important" job, even if it was handed to them!  What does that mean?
In Sheryl's world that means: "there is obviously a barrier we need to remove"-- Like disproportionate housework and childcare. And I agree--it's true, most women I know are actually a tad bit better (gasp!) at housework and childcare than men are. Resulting in an uneven balance. But no matter how far I "lean in", I can't make a man lactate in the middle of the night. Or hear a vomiting child in the bathroom, or see dust bunnies under the bed. And I kind of resent her calling my offspring a "barrier".

But worse than the fact that she can't handle gender differences, is the scary presumption (which is plain mean) that "obviously" women must hate housework and spending time at home with children. Being a COO at a high pressure job (like Sheryl!) is soo much better!Right? Don't we want to be like her? Don't we just envy her???
To me it's this nightmare flashback of a high school cheerleader proclaiming: "how can you not want to be a cheerleader? I'm so awesome , I'm so fulfilled!"

At this point, I may be sounding like some rabid conservative. But I can honestly say I have talked to women from all sides of the fence (liberal, conservative, hippies, well educated). And somehow, average women have a much easier time understanding we all don't want the same things. Some women really want to work more (and make more money) while some really just want to be home, or maybe work less. Why can't Sheryl handle that we all don't want to be her?
I live in Alaska and have two chickens in my basement. What barriers to entry (Sheryl) are preventing you from this lifestyle? How can I help you overcome whatever is holding you back from illicit arctic poultry farming? Lean in and move North, I am rather fulfilled after all :)

No comments: